Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Al-Jazeera America aka CurrentTV (thanks to Al Gore)

On Aug 20th, I read in a local NYC paper that Al Jazeera America had become a new channel on cable, airing via companies like DirecTV, AT&T U-verse, Comcast and Verizon FiOS. Turns out, after only a few hours of being on the air, Al Jazeera America loses a huge chunk of its major advertisers and has been left with a handful of non-profits. U-verse even dropped the channel all together!

If you don't know much about Al Jazeera, see my previous blog here. (The YouTube video I had embedded in this post has been taken down.)

When I saw the list of cable companies that would air Al Jazeera America, I wasn't surprised when I didn't see Time Warner Cable on that list. I was in fact quite glad. Other than cutting off CBS recently, TWC cut off CurrentTV in Dec 2012 when Al Gore, who created the channel some 5 or 6 years ago, sold to the Al Jazeera network, who is based out of Doha, Qatar. Al Jazeera is rather anti-American and anti-Semitic.

You can also find a little more info here.




No comments:

Post a Comment